Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Two Books

I found two books in the library that seemed like it could fit my topic of gun control and mental health. However, I found one book to be very unhelpful. The first book I looked at was Can Gun Control Work? by James B. Jacobs. This book was mostly about gun control and not really related to mental health. This book had much more to do with gun laws than mental health. I found this book to not be useful for my topic.

The second book I found was Private Guns Public Health by David Hemenway. This book had some information about suicides and homicides which can tie into mental health. However, this is not exactly what I was looking for. I could use this information to answer my research question by using some of the statistics. It has some information about what types of people commit suicide the most. People with psychiatric issues and drug abuse issues are most likely to commit suicide. This information is very useful in determining if guns should be sold to individuals with these such issues. It's a very controversial topic.

The evaluation criteria I used was the relevancy of the information in the book to my research question. If the information didn't give some light into answering my question then I determined the book was irrelevant. Some of the information I found was very irrelevant.

3 comments:

  1. The second book definitely sounds look it will give some great facts and information to use for your research project. I also determined which book to use for my project by looking at how relevant they were to my topic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily is also in my group and she did really good research and I think that the second book was a very good book and we need to keep looking inot it. She got really good facts on both books though. She really explained these books and I think she put alot of effort into this blog. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your second book seems like it will be more helpful to your research topic than the first one. Even though it's not what you were looking for, it can be helpful to get your research started.

    ReplyDelete