Wednesday, January 23, 2013

In class blog #2

When I am in a conversation and someone else tries to jump in, I first look at their appearance. If he or she looks like someone who is knowledgeable, I will listen to that person for a bit. If I find they don't look knowledgeable, I get more curious as to what they have to say. I will listen to someone for a while and then form a more informed opinion about their opinions and knowledge. If they say something that I know is incorrect, I will correct them politely. If they still disagree with the facts, then I'll just walk away and ignore them completely. I don't like to do that, but I know my facts and don't like to argue with someone who is ignorant. If they do say some things that I agree with or that I know to be true, I'll listen more closely and include them in my conversation.

I feel as if I'm being too judgemental toward other people when I do this, but I don't want to argue facts with someone who is too stubborn to change his or her opinion. If I am talking about something basic chemistry related, I am probably right in my facts because I just studied basic chemistry. I will do the same thing if I jump into someone elses conversations. I may say something that is wrong and someone can feel free to correct me. I'll just say "Okay, I was wrong. I'm sorry. I'll try harder to get my facts correct."

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, I don't like to agrue either so walking away is always smart. It's always good to correct someone politely if you disagree with someone like you said in your post. I always like to include poeple in my conversations so they don't feel out of place. It seems like you can admit when you're wrong which is good because some people can't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although you said you may be too judgmental, I don't believe you are because I would be the same way. It is good that you would start off giving someone a chance no matter what. I hate arguing with people too, especially if they just think they know it all. The fact you would be polite trying to correct someone is also good because it shows you are mature and not an ignorant person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just by reading this post, you seem to be someone that I would sit down with and listen to what you have to say. I agree with you, in the part that if you have no idea what you are talking about, then I will simply try and correct you, if you don't agree, I will then walk away and ignore you. I liked how you put that you don't argue with ignorant people. Because, I too, wouldn't sit their and argue with someone who is feeding me false information.

    ReplyDelete